Google Apps for Education (GAFE)Google Apps for Education (GAFE) is a set of tools available to all SSJCSS employees.
Training and ResourcesFrom the Stark/Portage Area Computer Consortium Technology Integration Department. One contact hour offered upon completion of viewing the recorded webinar.
Access your files offline
You can work on files on a Chrome browser even when you’re not connected to the Internet. Chrome automatically syncs files in Drive, Docs, Sheets, and Slides so you can view and edit files offline.
In the video above, we show you how to view and edit your files offline in Google Drive and in Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides.
Here are some important things to know when you're offline:
- Use Chrome. Offline access doesn’t work with other browsers. Offline access is also available on Chrome devices.
- Use one account per Chrome profile. More than one person can use Drive offline on the same computer, but each person will need to log in with a different Chrome profile.
Turn on offline access in Chrome
To turn on offline access in Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome and sign in by clicking the Chrome menu > choosing Sign in to Chrome > following the directions on the sign-in page.
- Visit Drive, Docs, Sheets, or Slides. Offline access will automatically be turned on. Open a file to begin viewing or editing it even when you have no Internet connection.
Note: Do you use Google Apps for Work or Education? Chrome sign-in for offline access is not currently supported for these accounts. Use the instructions in "Turn on and turn off offline access from settings" below.
Turn on and turn off offline access from settings
You can manually enable or disable offline access from your settings in Drive, Docs, Sheets, or Slides.Only enable offline access on personal computers or computers that you use regularly. Turning on offline access on public or shared computers can put your data at risk, since others may be able to view your synced files.
- On a Chrome browser, visit Drive at drive.google.com.
- In the top right, click the gear icon
- Choose Settings.
- Check the box next to "Sync Google Docs, Sheets, Slides & Drawings files to this computer so that you can edit offline" to enable offline access. Your files and folders will automatically be synced so that they'll be available without an Internet connection.
- Don’t see this message in “Settings”? Try using the alternate instructions below.
- Uncheck the box to disable offline access.